Saturday, August 9, 2014

Hello, friends!

Greetings, everyone! 

It has been some time since we posted anything here, so I thought I would give you an update. We have been back in the USA for about 6 weeks now, and we are still finding it hard to adjust. We had forgotten how fast the pace of life here can be, and the whirlwind of activity has just been wearing us out! It is slowly getting easier to go work in an office for 8 hours every day, although I miss my students very much. Someone asked me what I missed most from living in Bolivia, and I told them it is the simple joy that most Bolivians take in everyday life. Bolivians don't seem to invest much in delayed gratification. If there is a reason to celebrate, they have a party! They don't wait for when it fits everyone's schedules. Many people don't have every minute of their day mapped out with "what's next" - and that means they have time to stop. Just stop. Admire the scenery, laugh with friends, dance, talk about whatever interests them (usually local politics!). It is a wonderful lifestyle, and one I could happily enjoy the rest of my life. Alas, things are different here at home. My sister Amy asked me recently how things were going now that we're back, and I said I feel like I'm riding a carousel that's spinning out of control, and it's too fast for me to jump off!

So, what have we been doing since we returned home? I went back to work almost right away. I work at a company that manages flex/cafeteria pans for small to medium sized businesses. For those reading this from other countries, it means I help manage employers' health benefits for their employees. These plans are very desirable to workers, and having one means your company is more desirable to the best, most qualified potential employees. It also means you're more likely to keep employees from moving on to a position with another company that does not have a similar program. Jeff is working from home using the Internet on a project that is generating some extra income, but has the potential to generate quite a bit more. It is nice to be back where we have reliable high-speed Internet service. :) Jeff has also entered the discernment process, which is Episcopal-speak for "he is seeking the support and approval of his local congregation to become ordained." He feels he has been called to ordained ministry, perhaps to become a priest. His focus is youth ministry and local/global mission. Please pray for him as he begins this new chapter in his life.

Delaney spent the first few weeks we were back with her friends. She was with at least one friend every day! She has also attended Episcopal Summer Camp at Pictured Rocks Camp in Monticello, IA for a week, plus she attended Band Camp for marching band at her high school, where she was "promoted" to playing piccolo. She is all registered to start her junior year of high school on August 21st, and she is very much looking forward to that! She is also studying to take her written exam and get her driving permit so she can do drivers' education this fall. Watch out, she'll be driving soon!

Finally, one thing I have heard from many people since our return is: how did you guys lose so much weight? It's called eating clean -- no preservatives, additives, artificial colors or flavors, sweeteners, etc. Nothing processed. It's hard to even find that sort of thing there, and what a difference it made. It has made all three of us very aware of just how bad the American food system really is. It is hard to find anything that isn't processed here, all of the food is "dirty"!! We discovered lots of foods taste much better when they are fresh and untouched. It is funny how our opinions as a society are formed by the mega-corporations that made their millions feeding us the junk they call food! Really? I'm weird for preferring to eat real food? I don't know that many people understand that we did NOT diet while we were in Bolivia. We didn't skimp or starve. We just ate real food and lost a lot of weight. If you are interested in learning more, I am starting a new blog called Eating Clean. I will be sharing recipes, ideas and tips, and I will also start a FB page where others can share their thoughts and ideas. I promise to monitor for trolls!

So this is me, signing off for now. I think we will probably keep this blog up for awhile, but we won't be posting to it regularly anymore. Please find us on FB, or feel free to email for other ways to keep in touch.
God's blessings to you all, and take care of yourselves,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment